Commercial buses like Megabus are a popular way to travel around New York State and throughout the United States. Although commercial bus crashes are at a lower rate than other motor vehicle accidents, they are more devastating. These crashes may leave passengers with serious, permanent injuries. A passenger may even die because of a commercial bus accident.
Have you or your loved one been involved in a Megabus crash or any other type of commercial vehicle crash? Are you suffering from serious injuries because you were on a Megabus in New York and it crashed? Contact us. We’re experienced in representing clients injured in a commercial vehicle crash. We know how to get you the money you need to recover from your injuries or your loved one’s death.
Factors causing a Commercial Bus Accident
A commercial bus accident may occur for any reason. Often types these accidents are the result of driver’s negligence. The driver may be the one driving the commercial bus or a driver of another vehicle. Some common factors in a commercial bus accident include:
• The bus driver being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
• An driver in a passenger vehicle operating the smaller vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
• Bus driver speeding
• Another driver speeding
• Driver distracted. This can be the bus driver or vehicle driver.
• Bus driver unfamiliar with the route
• Bus driver falling asleep while driving
• Bus company failure to properly maintain the commercial bus
You’ve been hurt in a commercial bus accident. Your loved one was either injured or killed in the commercial bus accident. You and your loved one have rights to seek compensation from the responsible parties such as the bus company, bus driver and any other negligent party. Contact us immediately to learn more about your potential commercial bus accident claim.
Type of Injuries Sustained in a Commercial Bus Accident
The type of injuries a victim can suffer in a bus accident include:
• Internal bleeding
• Broken bones
• Head injuries
• Spinal cord injuries
• Severed limbs
You were injured because of someone else’s negligence. Maybe a commercial bus company like Megabus failed to maintain their fleet. Maybe they made their drivers work too many hours. Whether it was the bus company’s fault or bus driver, you deserve compensation. You injured. You the deserve peace of mind knowing you can pay your unexpected expenses caused by someone’s negligence. Contact today.
Proving Negligence in a New York Commercial Bus Accident
In New York, every plaintiff seeking damages, or money, in a commercial bus accident must prove their claim. The state requires every plaintiff to prove a specific number of elements to obtain money. These elements are:
1. The defendant had a legal duty to avoid causing an accident. Whether the defendant is the bus driver, Megabus or another driver, a plaintiff must prove legal duty. Legal duty is the easiest element to prove. New York requires every person in the state to operate a motor vehicle in a way that doesn’t harm passengers, pedestrians or other drivers. This is an implied legal duty agreed to whenever a person gets behind a wheel of a motor vehicle. If the bus crash was caused by a maintenance failure, the bus company still had a legal duty to maintain the vehicle to prevent an injury.
2. The defendant breached that legal duty. If a commercial bus accident happened, the defendant violated their legal duty to avoid causing harm. When the legal duty is violated, the defendant acted or failed to act as another driver or bus company would in the same or similar circumstances.
3. The defendant cause the plaintiff’s injury or death. This is a tricky element because the plaintiff must how a defendant harmed them. New York law doesn’t assume the accident cause their injuries. Luckily, an attorney will hire an expert witness to help prove this element.
4. The plaintiff suffered damages because of the injury of loved one’s death. Damages available for anyone injured in a Megabus accident include:
• Past, future and current medical bills
• Property loss
• Loss of earning capacity
• Lost wages
• Mental anguish
• Pain and suffering
• Funeral expenses
Time Limit to File Your New York Megabus Accident Claim
New York has a statute of limitation regarding commercial bus accidents. Anyone hurt in a Megabus accident in the state has about two years to file a claim in court. This is two years from the date of the accident. If a plaintiff doesn’t file, they lose their right to sue in court. New York law doesn’t take into consideration the time an injured person and wrongful party tried to negotiate a settlement. It is two years. That’s all.
We are Your Legal Representation in a Megabus Accident Case
Contact us. We’re here to help you with your commercial accident case.