Tool Free: 888-765-4321

Top NYC Personal
Injury Lawyers

Over 50 Years Of Experience On Your Team.
24/7 Legal Help.

What happens if I lose my case? Will I owe money to my doctors?

When you have been injured in an accident or in another type of serious incident, you understandably may be reaching out to a NYC personal injury lawyer with the hope of obtaining compensation for your damages. After all, an accident or another similar type of event may result in expensive medical bills as well as lost wages while you recuperate and other expenses. Before you move forward with your personal injury case, however, you understandably need to know what will happen if you are not successful with the lawsuit.

A reputable NYC personal injury lawyer cannot guarantee a specific outcome for your lawsuit, and you should steer clear of any professional who makes grand promises to you. However, experienced and honest professionals will provide you with a reasonable indication of a probable outcome based on the facts of your case. He or she may also provide you with instructions for building a stronger case, such as obtaining more substantial documentation from your healthcare providers to create a paper trail of your injuries and expenses. By working closely with your attorney and gathering all of the information he or she requests, you can ensure that your attorney can present the strongest case possible in front of the judge and jury.

However, there is still a possibility that your case may not be decided in your favor. Even if the case is decided in your favor, the total award or settlement may still not be sufficient to pay all of your medical expenses. You understandably need to know what could happen if you are not awarded enough money to pay for all of your related medical expenses. From hospital stays and surgeries to on-going medical treatment and more, these expenses may tally up to tens of thousands of dollars or more.

Ultimately, your medical bills and other related expenses, such as therapy and prescription pain medications, are your financial responsibility. This means that you can be held personally liable for all of these expenses that you incur after the accident. In fact, your providers could even seek damages of their own by filing a lawsuit against you or by proceeding with debt collection efforts if you fail to pay your bills.

There are a few options available to you that can help you to manage your expenses if you are not awarded damages in your personal injury court case. For example, you can file the expenses under your own health insurance coverage. You can also set up a payment plan with your providers. Some providers may allow you to pay off the expenses over the course of several years, which can make the repayment more manageable. You can also apply for a personal loan through your bank, and this may be an unsecured loan or even a secured loan, such as a new home mortgage. In extreme cases when expenses from a significant event are astronomical, you may need to file bankruptcy to regain your financial footing after an accident or another type of serious event occurs. Through bankruptcy, your medical debts may be erased. However, this is a significant step that could potentially damage your credit rating and impair your financial future for many years, and you understandably want to avoid these possible outcomes if possible.

As you can see, the outcome of your personal injury case can impact your life substantially. With this in mind, it is critical that you carefully interview and screen personal injury lawyers before you decide which professional to hire to represent you in this matter. Pay attention to each lawyer’s experience with this specific type of case as well as to his or her track record for successfully settling or winning court cases. Remember that experience matters when you have so much at stake. By carefully selecting the right lawyer for your case, you can ensure that your case is properly prepared and presented.

Contact Us



Our Case Results

Request Free Consultation

Please feel free to email us any questions regarding services that we may assist you with. You may also contact us by mail, telephone or fax.